Lenoir-Rhyne Gets Late Winner, Seton Hill's Run Continue in DII Men's First Round


Lenoir-Rhyne’s hopes of a return trip to Hartford stay alive thanks to late-game magic from Dylan Stape.

The Bears led by as many as three goals against UIndy in Wednesday’s NCAA First Round matchup, but the Greyhounds mounted a comeback and tied the game late. With 46 seconds left, Dylan Stape fired home the game-winner to clinch an 11-10 victory.

Goalie Noah Johnson made 16 saves to keep Lenoir-Rhyne in the lead and allow the Bears to hold on late.

Bryce Reece scored to close the first quarter with Lenoir-Rhyne holding a 4-2 lead, a margin that remained the same by halftime. Toron Eccleston and Will Canata each scored multiple goals in a third quarter that saw the Bears take a 10-7 lead entering the final period.

Owain Braddock had two goals in a fourth-quarter UIndy run that tied the game at 10-10 with 4:19 left, but Johnson made four saves to allow Stape to score the winner with 46 seconds left.


Seton Hill took down Mercyhurst just four days ago to win the GMAC tournament title and avoid missing the NCAA tournament. The Griffins' reward was another matchup with their conference rival in the first round.

Trailing by as many as four goals in the first half, Seton Hill scored seven of the last nine goals to pull ahead and hold on for an 8-7 victory over Mercyhurst. Jack Ellis scored three goals and McGarity Harper turned in two points to lead the Griffins.

Ethan Landymore had a pair of goals in the first half to help Mercyhurst take a 5-1 lead in the second quarter, but two Seton Hill goals gave the visiting team the momentum heading into halftime. Ellis and Harper combined to tie the score at 5-5. After the Lakers took a brief lead with 12:10 left, the Griffins answered with three straight goals to take an 8-6 advantage with 2:38 left.

Mercyhurst won the ensuing faceoff, but Landymore’s shot went wide as time expired.


The defending national champion stayed alive with a blowout victory over a familiar Saint Anselm team.

Le Moyne trailed for much of the first half, but scored six unanswered goals in the third quarter to run away with a 16-8 victory over Saint Anselm. Ben McCreary led the Dolphins’ effort with five goals.

Saint Anselm led by two goals on three different occasions in the first half thanks to multiple goals from Sean Tomaszewski. Carter Collins and Seth Benedict tallied goals to help Le Moyne tie the score at 6-6 before halftime.

Six different scorers combined for the six-goal run that bled into the fourth quarter and gave the Dolphins’ a commanding 12-6 lead. Le Moyne scored four of the final six goals to clinch a comfortable victory.


Danny Riley averaged 2.25 goals per game in the regular season. He far outmatched that total in a huge NCAA tournament first-round performance.

Riley dropped seven goals and an assist to lead Wingate to the 20-11 victory over Lindenwood to help the Bulldogs advance to the second round for the second consecutive season. Adam Vodovnik chipped in five goals and two assists in the big offensive effort.

Wingate and Lindenwood went back-and-forth in a tight first half, but the Bulldogs came alive in the second half. Riley scored three goals in a third quarter that saw Wingate outscore Lindenwood 6-1 and take control. It added a 6-2 fourth quarter to pull away from the GLVC champs.


(5) Seton Hill 8, (4) Mercyhurst 7
(3) Le Moyne 16, (6) Saint Anselm 8
(4) Lenoir-Rhyne 11, (5) UIndy 10
(6) Wingate 20, (3) Lindenwood 11


Most Recent

Taryn VanThof Named Arizona State Head Coach

VanThof heads to Tempe after six years on the Florida staff.

Marcus Hudgins Transferring to Ohio State With Two Years of Eligibility Remaining

Ohio State head coach Nick Myers confirmed the major addition to his defense.

Report: USC to Join Big Ten, Further Alter College Sports Landscape

USC and UCLA would both join the Big Ten by 2024-25, reports say.

UMass Women Turn the Page With a Familiar Face

Drummond takes over for Angela McMahon after being her assistant for five years.

Twitter Posts